Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where To apply

People usually ask where we should apply. There is no general answer for this kind of questions. My suggestion is that first decide about "Your Median List". Where do you go you think is appropriate for you. Then divide all universities to 3 groups. 1. Top Rank 2.Median Group 3.Satisfactory level.

Choose 20% of your list from first level. 60% from Median Group and the rest from last group. For example who thinks that Boston Univ. is fine for him, I mean he has seen his friends with the same grade went there are are happy. The three groups are as following:

MIT
Chicago*
Northwestern
LSE
Upenn*
----------------------
UMN*
Penn state*
Maryland
Washington Saint louis*
Austin*
Boston Univ*
Illinois
SSE
UBC
Toronto*
-----------------------
Arizona*
USC
Texas A&M*
BC
Virginia Tech
Rice
--------------------

If he want to send 10 application, he could apply for * universities. Based on other factors like cities, Iranian Groups, Money and ...

PS: In all the preceding univ some Iranian had graduated in recent years or got admission or already study economics. Thus I suggest you to fist try for this univ.
PS: I found 3 source for ranking. I do not have any idea about methodology or how much there are reliable, I only want to vast your choice to rank univ for yourself. Also very good and international source is econphd.
Here1
Here2
Here3
PS: I rank the above universities based on my opinion. It might be different from other ranking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

444kerim, faghat khastim begim har az chand ghi inja saraki mikeshim :D

Ahmad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi there, I saw your weblog which is about applying economics,the thing i am exactly involved in by the time being. your posts were of much help for me. thanks a lot. I have some questions regarding applying economics which i dont know the answer yet. I will be glad if you answer them. I have studied industrial eng. (BS and Ms) in Sharif. I couldnt find your email here, I rather prefer to ask them personally. I leave my email here. I wonder if you give your email so that i can contact you.
regards mojdeh
(M_mirmoghadam@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

Mashdi,
Chera sunsoor mikoni comment e mardom o. ey baba pass firidam of speechet kojast...
Vaght kardi ye haali ham az maa bepors dr.

Yasin said...

Dear Dr. Rahmati,

Ye lotfi kon ye Email az khodet ye ja bezar ke betoonim tamas begirim bahat. age mitooni ye email be man bezan, mamnoonet misham.

Sincerely yours,
Yasin
Yasin_7219@yahoo.com